About Me

My photo
Daughter of the Most High King by the Power of the Blood of Jesus. Living for my Heavenly Father and my Lord. Growing daily into the princess I was created to be. Loving My Husband - One Kiss at a Time - Nurturing My Children - One Smile at a Time - Making the World a Prettier Place - One Stitch at a Time - Reading the Best Books First - One Page at a Time - Walking with the Lord - One Step at a time

Monday 20 February 2012

In the Garden with Jesus....

When I came across the words of comfort on the Passionist website one line stood out as having special meaning for me.....

If I am afflicted, abandoned, desolate, I will keep Him company in the Garden. 
 
This was because only days before while on my retreat I had been meditating (or at least my version of it) on Psalms 42 and 43 in which there is a line which is repeated several times.....
 
"Why am I so depressed? Why this turmoil within me?"
 
This was often followed by "Put your hope in God, for I will still praise him."
 
At this point these words totally summed up what was going on in my own mind.
 
As a family we have been going through some terrible problems (the major one being my sons health) and just before I left to come on retreat yet more problems had added to the pile.
 
It was on this retreat that all this came to a head in my thoughts and I reached the end of my tether.
 
I found myself totally immersed in this verse. The questions went round and round in my mind. Why was I so depressed? Why this turmoil within me? I knew that I truly did put my hope in God so how could I still feel like this?
 
In the cross references I saw listed Matthew 26:38 and there were the words of Jesus spoken  in the Garden "My soul is swallowed up in sorrow - to the point of death."
 
He had voiced my own thoughts. My soul felt as though it was swallowed up by my sorrow.

I felt so close to him and I knew without a doubt that he knew what I was feeling. Even more than that,
I knew that he would not condemn me for my thoughts and think less of me. He would still be able to see that my hope was in God despite them.

For He Himself had felt terrible anguish although His hope could never be anywhere but with His Father.

So from now on when things seem unbearable and I am afflicted, abandoned, desolate not only will I do as the Passionists recommend and keep Him company in the Garden, but I will run there as quick as I can!

0 comments: